World Byte News

Donald Trump Loses Appeal In $5 Million E. Jean Carroll Case​on December 30, 2024 at 8:45 pm

A jury last year found that Carroll was sexually abused by Trump at a Manhattan department store in 1996 and that he defamed her in later statements. A jury last year found that Carroll was sexually abused by Trump at a Manhattan department store in 1996 and that he defamed her in later statements.  

LOADINGERROR LOADING

A federal appeals court in New York has upheld the $5 million verdict against President-elect Donald Trump in the sexual abuse and defamation case involving former magazine columnist E. Jean Carroll.

Three judges of the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan concludedMonday that Trump failed to demonstrate that the lower district court erred in several of its evidentiary rulings as he claimed in his appeal.

“Further, he has not carried his burden to show that any claimed error or combination of claimed errors affected his substantial rights as required to warrant a new trial,” the court stated.

E. Jean Carroll departs Manhattan federal appeals court following arguments in a judgment appeal brought by former President Donald Trump in September.
E. Jean Carroll departs Manhattan federal appeals court following arguments in a judgment appeal brought by former President Donald Trump in September.
LEONARDO MUNOZ via Getty Images

Trump’s defense team had argued that the testimony of two of his past sexual assault accusers should not have been admitted as part of the case. They also objected to the court hearing a 2005 recording of Trump talking about kissing and grabbing women without first obtaining their consent.

Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung in a statement said they will appeal the judges’ ruling. He also called for “an immediate end to the political weaponization of our justice system and a swift dismissal of all of the Witch Hunts, including the Democrat-funded Carroll Hoax, which will continue to be appealed.”

Carroll’s attorney said they’re grateful for the court’s decision.

“Both E. Jean Carroll and I are gratified by today’s decision. We thank the Second Circuit for its careful consideration of the parties’ arguments,” attorney Roberta Kaplan said in an emailed statement.

The Countdown To Trump Is On

On Jan. 20, Donald Trump will reclaim the most powerful seat in our nation’s government. HuffPost will continue to fearlessly report on the new administration — but we need your help.

We believe vital information during this unprecedented time should be free for everyone. With your support, we can provide critical news without paywalls.

You’ve supported HuffPost before, and we’ll be honest — we could use your help again. We view our mission to provide free, fair news as critically important in this crucial moment, and we can’t do it without you.

Whether you give once or many more times, we appreciate your contribution to keeping our journalism free for all.

You’ve supported HuffPost before, and we’ll be honest — we could use your help again. We view our mission to provide free, fair news as critically important in this crucial moment, and we can’t do it without you.

Whether you give just one more time or sign up again to contribute regularly, we appreciate you playing a part in keeping our journalism free for all.

Support HuffPost

A jury early last year found that Trump sexually abused Carroll, but not raped her, at a Manhattan department store in 1996. He was also found liable for defaming her in statements made in 2022. She was awarded $5 million in compensatory and punitive damages.

Trump denied attacking Carroll, insisting he didn’t know her and that she made up the incident to promote her memoir.

Last January, a different jury in a separate case ordered Trump to pay Carroll an additional $83.3 million for continuing to defame her and damage her reputation over social media. Trump is continuing to appeal that much larger verdict.

 

​     

Exit mobile version